Friday, March 15, 2013

Sometimes, My Body Talks To Me...

...usually it is my stomach telling me it is too empty or too full. But this week I got a new experience - my calves talked to me (and they were saying more than "MOO.")

I had a long run (long for me - it was just 4 miles this week in the training plan) scheduled for last Saturday but life happened and I couldn't fit it in so I thought "no big deal, I will just move it to Sunday". So I did and I didn't get a great time but I did run the whole time so I was pleased to have gotten my miles in.

Now here is where my novice training status really shows. I SHOULD have adjusted my training plan this week to accommodate the switch in my long run. I didn't. Instead I did 40 minutes of cross training on Monday (including almost 4 miles on the ellipitical) instead of doing my stretching/strength training day that generally follows a long run. I still felt okay so since my training called for 3 miles on Tuesday I laced up my running shoes and hopped on the treadmill.

CRAMP!

I had never quite experienced the sensation I had when both of my calves cramped up on me simultaneously. When I say that they were talking to me I should amend that to say that they were emitting blood-curdling screams. Luckily I had the good sense to pause the treadmill. I massaged the cramps out of my calves and hopped back on the treadmill - I was determined to get through this workout. 33:36 and a ridiculous amount of walking intervals later I did it! I had never been so happy to be done. The next day I had in my plan to run 2 miles and strength train. I opted to put an extra rest day.

Best. Idea. Ever.

Today I am just going to do some light cardio in preparation for my 5K race tomorrow and my legs feel strong and ready.

Sometimes, the best training is knowing when NOT to train. I could have seriously injured myself had I continued but instead I rested and now feel healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment